As a little girl I always wanted to wear a crown; the sparklier the better. Now I have access to five crowns as rewards in heaven.
The history of the crown goes back thousands of years. In fact, the oldest crown was discovered in 1961 in a cave near the Dead Sea.
A crown is used to set apart someone for a position as Head of a monarchy as a king or queen.
The crown symbolizes royalty, authority, power, strength and stature. However, the five crowns in heaven are heavenly rewards.
Just so you know the five crowns are not going to be placed on your head. There will not be a red carpet and paparazzi waiting for “your moment”.
What are the 5 crowns in the bible?
Crown of Righteousness
Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. ~2 Timothy 4:8~
What is the meaning of righteousness?
The dictionary describes righteousness as having the quality of being virtuous, honorable, or morally right. All great qualities.
The bible describes righteousness as being right in the eyes of God or justified because of our faith in Jesus. It is not based on our works but our faith alone.
- This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile Romans 3:22
- For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written “The righteous will live by faith. Romans 1:17
- I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing! Galatians 2:21
Crown of Glory
Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away. ~1 Peter 5:2-4~
We are to serve and know the condition of the flock that is placed in our care.
The same way Jesus led his followers by teaching, healing and feeding them. He led by example with prayer, showing mercy and forgiveness.
We should also lead by example, being mindful of our actions and behavior.
- Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity. 1 Timothy 4:12
- Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them. John 13:14 – 17
Crown of Rejoicing
For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Is it not even you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming? Indeed, you are our glory and joy. 1 Thessalonians 2:19-20
I cannot recall a time, at least in my lifetime, where there has been so much suffering and loss.
For the past couple of years we have all gone through so much. It’s not just the pandemic… its crime, civil unrest, division and now war.
It’s so comforting to know that our Savior will wipe every single tear away.
- God has made a promise that those who sow in tears will reap with shouts of joy (Psalms 126:5) and He intends on keeping that promise.
- Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh. Luke 6:21
- He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away. Revelations 21:4
- For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; ‘he will lead them to springs of living water.’ ‘And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes. Revelations 7:17
Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. ~1 Corinthians 9:25~
Are you interested in the crown that is temporarily shiny? The crown that looks great and is the envy of your brothers and sisters. OR
Do you want the crown that is going to be rewarded after tribulation? The crown that no man will see. The crown that will be with you for eternity.
Do you want to hear “well done, good and faithful servant”? Or do you want the admiration of man?
- to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, 1 Peter 1:14
- For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God For, “All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord endures forever.” And this is the word that was preached to you. 1 Peter 1:23-25
Crown of Life
Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him ~James 1:12~
This crown is not given to us because of our accomplishments. This is gifted to us once we stand firm in the faith and endure the temptations of this world.
We have to be set apart, loyal and devoted to Jesus; this will allow us to receive this heavenly reward.
We have to be willing to deny ourselves and follow Him.
- Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and for ten days you will have tribulation. Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life. Revelation 2:10
- Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst. 1 John 2:25
What an amazing promise! As Christians we always say how hard this walk can be.
We stick out like a sore thumb in our jobs, schools and even with family. There are times when we get weary and want to throw in the towel.
The next time you feel that way just remember what is waiting for you.
There are five crowns with your name on them just waiting for you to finish the race.
Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done ~Revelation 22:12~