Understanding the idea of a royal priesthood might help us recognize how important all of our occupations are.
How many of us believe our work isn’t “spiritual” enough or that it has no place in God’s plan?
The royal priesthood is a key biblical concept that affects our personal life, spiritual life as well as our work life.
So, what exactly is the royal priesthood and how does it relate to faith and work?
Commit Your Work to the Lord
We are to work as if we are working for The Lord not for men. (Colossians 3:23). So many people are stressed out because of the demands that our jobs put on us.
ALL believers are part of the royal priesthood regardless of their job description.
Time to change our mindset:
- You are working directly for God to be able to contribute to the Kingdom.
- There is a purpose where God placed you. You are an ambassador.
- Difficult co-workers means the harvest is ripe
Royal Priesthood In The Bible
In the Old Testament, it is promised…
- At Sinai, God tells Moses….“you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites.” (Exodus 19:6).
- According to Isaiah… you will be called priests of the LORD, you will be named ministers of our God. You will feed on the wealth of nations, and in their riches you will boast. (Isaiah 61:6).
In the New Testament, it is fulfilled…
- You are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His wonderful light.” (1 Peter 2:9)
- You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God, and they will reign upon the earth,” (Revelations 5:10).
Jesus was given a high priesthood forever (Hebrews 7). We were saved and called to something higher than ourselves; not because of anything we did but only for His purpose and grace.
We all become priests because of Christ’s high priesthood and because we are now in him. We are now all prophets, priests, and kings (and queens) because of Christ.
A Chosen People
Through the blood of Christ, we have been washed and set apart.
- You were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. (1 Corinthians 6:11)
- These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb (Revelations 7:14)
We have all been dressed in the magnificent clothes of Christ’s righteousness regardless of our job descriptions, titles or social status.
- For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. (Galatians 3:27)
- Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all. Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. (Colossians 3:11-12)
As Christ shares his kingdom and reign with us we have been granted glory and honor with Him. We become co-heirs to the kingdom of God.
- The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory (Romans 8:16-17)
- And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed and heirs according to the promise.(Galatians 3:29)
You Are a Royal Priesthood
Approach God with Freedom and Confidence
We have a direct connection to God through Jesus Christ. As children of God we can approach the throne of grace with confidence. This is an amazing gift, yet it is so easy for us to take for granted.
- In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence.(Ephesians 3:12).
We should pray openly and continuously, while recognizing our privilege in Christ.
Offering of Spiritual Sacrifice
We must continue to make sacrifices. Instead of bulls and goats, we make spritual sacrifices like prayer, praise, thanksgiving, repentance, justice, kindness, and love are acceptable.
- You also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. (1 Peter 2:5)
We are supposed to live Holy lives, putting our focus on the things of God.
There are so many temptations in this world but if we are committed to Christ then we must sacrifice.
Declare the Praises of Him
God took us out of the filthy rags and made us royalty. We were created for His glory. Just for that reason alone we should exalt Him at all times.
- But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. (1 Pet. 2:9).
It’s time to get out of the habit of praising Him when “good” things happen to us. Guess what… It’s ALL good because He works all things together for the good of those that love Him.
Ministry of Reconciliation
In this dark and difficult world, we must show the love of Christ. We are called to spread the gospel to lead others to be made right with God.
- All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation (2 Corinthians 5:18)
We have been entrusted with carrying out this responsibility. One aspect of our lives where we are to share this promise is at our jobs.
That is the perfect place to find the lost souls.
If we are to walk around claiming the Royal Priesthood then we need to be ready to serve as peacemakers, diplomats, and mediators. In other words, we serve as priests at our jobs.
Wow what a mind shift! So now when you go to work I pray that you look around to all those around you with spiritual eyes.
Pray that the Lord will reveal the needs that are around you so you can minister to them. You are not just there for a paycheck.
You are on assignment!!
The next time your coworker gets on your nerves, put on the Full Armor of God and get to work.
I wear many hats; Wife, Mom, Minister, Blogger and Entrepreneur.
It’s not easy juggling everything but with the Grace of God, I can do all things!
My plate is full but my cup runneth over!!